So this is dads creation. A Texas style beef and bacon burger, with jalapeno aioli and smoky tomato relish. It’s actually pretty damn good! Total dude food.
Texas Beef and Bacon Burger, Smokey Tomato Relish, Jalapeno Aioli
Makes 4 burgers
Author: Eatin Mess
- 4 soft buns
- 2 baby cos lettuce heads, separated and washed
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 8 thin slices of speck or 4 slices of regular bacon
- 4 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 600g beef mince (NOT the lean stuff)
- 1 tsp Golden Mountain sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ cup malt vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp seeded mustard
- 2 tbs smoky BBQ sauce
- 2 jalapeño, roasted
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup aioli
- First thing to do is get your relish on. In a saucepan over medium heat, sweat off the onions in a bit of olive oil. Once softened, add the garlic and chilli, cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, mustard, curry powder and BBQ sauce. Cook for about 25 minutes, until cooked and thick. Season to taste. Set aside.
- For the aioli, either pound or process the soft roasted jalapeños with a pinch of salt. Add to aioli, mix well and set aside in the fridge to infuse and develop.
- Next, form your patties, combine all ingredients into a bowl, mix well. Divide into 4 portions and mould into thick, rustic patties.
- Grill your patties and your bacon on a hot BBQ until charred and cooked. About 3 minutes each side. While you are doing this, toast the inside of your burger buns.
- Once ready, build your burger, dad likes to start with a generous bed of lettuce, a few slices of tomatoes, red onion, then your meat patty, bacon, relish, and then spread your top bun with aioli and serve.
Actually, just reliving that, yum, a truly delicious burger!