While I love a weekend away, or one full of activities, sometimes, it just doesn’t get any better than a weekend at home, doing nothing but cooking, eating, drinking and relaxing. You know, the weekends where come Monday morning, you don’t need a weekend from your weekend. So, when I do get to completely clear the schedule, and the weather is warm, I like to spend my afternoons by the pool, working on my tan, and sipping on cocktails.
Now being in a bikini in the harsh light of day should be the most powerful deterrent, but for me, food still wins. I think the perfect poolside bite is anything cold, and preferably raw. Crudo, ceviche, sashimi, oysters, prawns, beef tartare. Cue mouth watering.
This dish is perfect for poolside nosh. Tropical, cold, refreshing. And spooning it onto prawn crackers means that it is easy finger food. Keep this one in mind leading up to the silly season.
- 400g fresh white fish, I used Red Emperor
- ⅓ cup coconut cream
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 1 small red chill, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup shallots, finely sliced
- ½ tsp white sugar
- 1 bag of prawn crackers
- 1 bunch of Thai basil, picked
- 1 long red chilli, julienne
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- Dice the fish into 1cm dice.
- In a bowl, combine the coconut cream, fish sauce, lime juice, soy, sugar, chilli and kaffir lime leaf. Mix well until the sugar has dissolved. Add the fish and mix well to coat. Refridgerate for about 25 minutes.
- Serve with all the garnishes and enjoy. Poolside.