It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Nothing is truer. The silly season really does get me all silly. I try to make the most of it. Tree trimming night complete with carols, canapés and cocktails. Christmas pool parties with cold beers and a seafood spread. The work Christmas party with the unlimited bar tab. And then the wonderful day itself, it’s all good.
Now while I am always up for a huge production, a menu plan, themed table setting, a trip to the flower farm, matched wines and cocktails, and a whole day in the kitchen. Some people, not so much. My perfect day is more than likely, your worst nightmare. So, I have come up with a little something for you. And on a scale of 1 to Laura. This sits at about a 4.
I have come up with 3 canapés that are not only totally yum, they are totally easy! With the secret weapon that is Yumi’s Anytime Squeezable dips and sauces, you can get those festive canapés out quicker than ever before. Happy Holidays! X
- 300g smoked salmon
- Yumi’s Anytime Roasted Garlic Aioli
- 1 french stick, sliced into 1cm slices
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- ½ bunch of chives
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs oil
- 2 tbs toasted sesame seeds
- First start your salsa. Quarter the tomatoes and remove the seeds. Finely dice and place in a bowl. Then add the red onion, finely diced and the chives, finely chopped. Add lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and mix well. Set aside in the fridge.
- When are ready to go, brush your bread on each side with a little oil. Slightly toast on each side.
- To assemble, squeeze about ½ a teaspoon of the garlic aioli, roughly drape a slice of salmon over, be sure to leave some kinks, not have the salmon flat, this way you can create a little pocket for the salsa. Spoon over about a teaspoon of salsa and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Easy. Yum! Yumi!
- 2 long cumbers, one cut in half length ways, half peeled into ribbons with a veggie peeler and the other julienned into about 4 or 5cm batons
- Yumi’s Anytime Classic Hummus
- 1 large carrot, julienned into 4 or 5cm batons
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- 2 tbs white sugar
- 1 bunch of radishes, quartered length ways
- 1 bunch of coriander
- First you need to start pickling your carrot. Mix the vinegar and sugar until dissolved. Add carrots and leave to pickle for at least an hour. Now my only tip for this canape is do not skip the pickling process, the pickled carrots give a sort of 'dressing' without making the whole this soggy. Super yummy. Don't skip it.
- Once your carrots are pickled, you are ready to assemble. Lay a cucumber ribbon down on a chopping board, the cut end to the left side. Spread the cucumber with a thin layer of hummus. Up the cut end of the cucumber, lay, vertically, one piece of cumber, three pieces of pickled carrot, one piece of radish and a sprig of coriander. Roll up. Repeat. Serve. Easy. Yumi.
- 1 small length of eye fillet beef (CHEAT: you could buy the presliced rare roast beef from the supermarket deli)
- Yumi’s Anytime Creamy Tuna Mousse
- 3 tbs mini capers
- This recipe is super easy. If you are doing you own beef, oil and season the meat well with salt. Leave to come up to room temperature.
- In a smoking hot pan, sear the beef on all sides. About 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Once slightly cool, wrap tightly in glad wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- While meat is chilling, fry your capers. Get a pan really hot, add about 1 tsp of oil and the capers, fry off, moving them constantly for about 4 minutes, or until crispy. Note, it can take just seconds for them to go from crispy and dark green to overdone and slightly burnt. Once done, drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Once the meat is completely chilled. Unwrap and dry with paper towel. Now slice the fillet as thinly as you can. (But don't get too worried, you will pound them next.) Once you have all your slices, place them on a large piece of baking paper, cover with another layer of baking paper and with a smooth edged mallet, gently pound out the meat to less than a 1mm thick.
- Once our are ready to assemble, lay out your spoons, place in a slice, or half a slice, depending on the size and shape of your piece of eye fillet, scrunched up in the spoon, add a generous squeeze of the Yumi's tuna mousse and dot with three or four capers. It's that easy. Yumi.
This has been a sponsored post for Yumi’s Quality Foods.