December. What a glorious time of year. My birthday, Christmas, NYE and just the general loveliness of that end of the year feeling. Work slows down, the parties start up, summer is well and truly here!
And, since my favourite thing is to take any day of the week and turn it into a production, the 1st of December, tree trimming night, would not be complete without a yummy celebratory dinner and of course, a Christmas themed cocktail! And there would be carols, if only they’d let me! I’m kinda obsessed with Christmas. It’s actually a worry.
This cocktail just smells like Christmas. Warming cinnamon and orange peel, the spicy fresh ginger and the sweet vanilla infused vodka. Yum.
These flavours would be amazing warmed for a mulled style version, but for our stinking hot climate during an Aussie Christmas, over ice with a sugared rim is perfect. Make it. Come on, as if you or I need any more of an excuse for a themed cocktail!
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Peel of 2 oranges
- Peel of ½ lemon
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 6cm piece of ginger, finely sliced
- 1¼ cup of vodka
- 1 tsp vanilla extract with seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups apple cider
- ½ cup soda water
- 2 cups ice
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 small piece of lemon
- Cinnamon quills for garnish
- First, make your syrup. Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiled, remove from heat and allow to infuse until cooled. Strain through a sieve and Place in the fridge to chill.
- To infuse your vodka, please vodka in a jar with the vanilla essence and extract. Mix well until dissolved and leave to infuse for about 10 minutes.
- Once your vodka is ready and your syrup has cooled, place both in a cocktail jug, along with the ice, cider and soda water. Give a good stir.
- Next, place the ¼ cup caster sugar on a plate, take your piece off cut lemon and rub it around the rim of the glasses, and dip glass into the sugared plate to candy coat the rim.
- Pour the cocktail into the glasses, letting a couple of ice cubes fall into each. Place a cinnamon quill in each glass for garnish and enjoy.